Goals, Growth, and Grit: Skills for Success 120 will provide students with skills in three main areas - positive and productive mindsets and behaviours, organizational patterns, as well as functional and critical literacy. Within the broad learning expectations of the course, specific success skills, strategies, and practices will be explored. Students will be supported to apply and transfer these skills, strategies, and practices to other courses and real-life situations. Students will learn how these support postgraduate pursuits
Students will improve communication and reading competence with texts for educational and non-educational settings.
SCO 3.3 examine, critically, oral, visual, written and multimedia texts
- Identify bias, tone, audience and purpose in texts
- Recognize texts as interpretations of information
- Distinguish between what a text says, does and means.
- Evaluate techniques (e.g., camera angles, omissions of information, word choice) used to impact audience and achieve purpose.
- Examine a variety of texts considering purpose and audience.
- Bias in News Sources
- Camera Shots
- Deconstructing Web Pages
- Diversity and Media Ownership
- Editing Emotions
- Exposing Gender Stereotypes
- Hate or Debate
- Marketing to Teens: Gender Roles in Advertising
- Marketing to Teens: Gotta Have It! Designer & Brand Names
- Marketing to Teens: Marketing Tactics
- Scapegoating and Othering
- Taming the Wild Wiki
- The Citizen Reporter
- The Front Page
- Unpacking Privilege
- Video Production of a Newscast
- Who’s Telling My Story?