MediaSmarts is the Canadian not-for-profit centre for digital and media literacy. We want children, youth, educators, and parents to have the critical thinking skills to engage with media as active and informed digital citizens. MediaSmarts offers hundreds of digital and media literacy resources for librarians, parents and educators on its website: mediasmarts.ca.
Media Education Specialist – Francophone Program
(Paternity Leave: ;March 2019 - September 2019)
The Media Education Specialist is a focused, dynamic and creative member of the MediaSmarts program team. This fluently bilingual individual – with excellent spoken and written French and English - participates in the development and management of MediaSmarts’ programs and resources, in particular the French language programs and resources, and ensures that they meet the highest possible linguistic standards and reflect French media culture. The Media Education Specialist represents MediaSmarts in Francophone parts of the country and internationally: as such, this person is very comfortable with public speaking and is well-versed in digital and media literacy and related issues.
- Research, write and develop original French and English digital and media literacy resources and workshops/tutorials for classrooms, communities and professional development
- Research, write and develop original French and English content [such as articles, and blogs] for MediaSmarts’ website
- Update resources, website content and curriculum charts
- Translate and adapt English digital and media literacy resources and programs into French
- Perform some general French translation and editing [i.e. news releases, promotional materials, social media messages]
- Conduct promotion and partnership building outreach activities with French language schools, school boards, education ministries, universities and libraries across the country as well as with relevant Francophone organizations
- Respond to requests for media interviews (press, radio and TV)
- Assist the Director of Development and Stakeholder Relations with licensing outreach in Francophone Boards of Education, schools, and public libraries
- Prepare and deliver presentations and workshops to education and community groups
- Share expertise as a panelist at relevant education, government and community events
The ideal candidate will have:
- Fluently bilingual& in French and in English
- Superior writing skills in French and in English.
- Excellent comprehension, reading, and oral French capacity.
- An undergraduate degree or diploma from a recognized university or college in education, communications, public relations or journalism.
- Previous background in media/digital literacy
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong partnership building skills&n
Hours of Work:
37.5 hrs per week.
Commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MediaSmarts welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process . If accommodations are required, applicants are encouraged to make their requirements known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.