Taming the Wild Wiki - Lesson Lesson Plan
Level: Grades 7 to 9
Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts
Duration: 2 hours (excluding assessment and evaluation tasks)
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
Students are introduced to Wikipedia, the user-edited online encyclopedia, and given an overview of its strengths and weaknesses as a research source. They are taught how to evaluate the reliability of a Wikipedia article and then attempt to improve an existing article.
- learn how to evaluate a Wikipedia article for reliability
- learn how to effectively use Wikipedia as a research source
- assess the reliability of sources
- state and defend an opinion
- research a topic and publish their research
- contribute to a public debate
Home and School Connection
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.