Deconstructing Web Pages
Level: Grades 7 to 10
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students apply the “5Ws of Cyberspace” to sources of information they find online. Assuming the role of a student researching a science project, students must authenticate the information in an online article about the artificial sweetener, aspartame.
- understand the importance of authenticating online resources
- recognize the signs of bias and omission in information
- use a template to authenticate Web sources based on site authorship or ownership, content and currency
- use meta-information search techniques to validate online information
- understand the structure of uniform resource locators (URLs) and how URLs can be used to determine authorship and credibility
Home and School Connection
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.