Video Production of a Newscast - Lesson
Level(s): Grades 6 - 9
Author: This unit was created by Stephanie M. Rusnak, B.S.Ed, of Charleston, South Carolina, as part of a Media Production Course.
In this lesson, students will produce a 20 minute news broadcast. In teams of 4-5, students will create and film a two minute segment of a school news show. In the process of planning their segments, students will study news broadcasts; learn how to create a T-script for their audio and visuals; develop scripts; and utilise production and film techniques such as setting, presentation, props, camera angles, and editing.
- understand the techniques effective speakers use to make convincing presentations
- select an appropriate oral presentation form for a specific purpose and audience
- select and use the conventions of broadcast news and appropriate techniques to produce a news segment
- use appropriate production techniques to create a media work
- understand the various stages and responsibilities in the production of a news broadcast
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.