Understanding and Connecting Contexts of Time, Place, and Community
GCO 3: Students will be expected to demonstrate critical awareness of and value for the role of the arts in creating and reflecting culture.
- 8.0 demonstrate an understanding of the role of music in daily life
- 9.0 explore, examine and demonstrate respect for music across a broad range of contexts
- Popular Music and Music Videos
- Relationships and Sexuality in the Media
- The Function of Music
- Art Exchange
GCO 4: Students will be expected to respect the contributions of individuals and cultural groups in local and global contexts, and value the arts as a record of human experiences and expression.
- 4.401 recognize the importance of the musical contributions of individuals to their communities
- 4.402 respect the contribution of cultural groups to music in the global community
- 4.403 demonstrate an understanding of the power of music to shape, express, and communicate ideas and feelings throughout history
- 13.0 demonstrate an understanding of the power of music to shape, express, and communicate ideas, experiences and feelings
Perceiving, Reflecting, and Responding
GCO 6. Students will be expected to apply critical thinking and problem-solving strategies to reflect on and respond to their own and others’ expressive work.
- analyse and respond personally to an extended variety of musical styles, forms, and genres
- evaluate their own musical insights and aesthetic responses in the context of other critical commentary
- 17.0 analyze and respond to a variety of advanced music, their own and others, using appropriate terminology
GCO 8: Students will be expected to analyse the relationship between artistic intent and the expressive work.
- reflect critically on meanings, ideas, and values associated with particular music compositions and performances
- analyse how consideration of the intended audience affects the musical work
- interpret the relationship between intention and outcome in their own and others’ work
- 21.0 examine the relationship between intention and outcome in musical works