This outcome chart contains media-related learning outcomes from the Saskatchewan Health Education curriculum with links to supporting resources on the MediaSmarts site. The foundational and learning objectives of the elementary health curriculum are not categorized by grade level, as it is intended that these objectives will be attained over the entire period from grade 1 to grade 5.
Develop the understanding, skills, and confidences necessary to take action to improve health
- Examine healthy interpersonal skills and determine strategies to effectively develop new relationships and/or negotiate disagreements in relationships.
- Determine basic personal responsibility for safety and protection in various environments/situations.
- Describe and recommend healthy behaviours, including positive communication skills for getting along with others in play and competitive situations (e.g., an appreciation of silence as an opportunity to reflect and refrain from “jumping in”, analyzing and criticizing ideas and not the people offering them).
- Recognize how various factors, including peer pressure, communication strategies, and assumptions affect relationships.
- Investigate how effectively/ineffectively negotiated disagreements affect relationships.
- Examine prior knowledge and new information related to safety (including cyber safety).
- Explore critical safety needs (e.g., cyber, hunting, water, fire, biking) of self and others in local community.
- Investigate common personal and community activities/ environments to identify those that involve greater safety risks.
- Examine cyber safety etiquette and related safety risks and strategies.
- Discuss various safety rules and practices related to community safety needs.
- Examine one’s responsibility to use electronic networks in an ethical and safe manner.
- Classroom Resources to Counter Cyberbullying
- Comparing Real Families to TV Families
- Junk Food Jungle
- Kids, Alcohol and Advertising - Lesson 1: Messages About Drinking
- Kids, Alcohol and Advertising - Lesson 2: Young Drinkers
- Kids, Alcohol and Advertising - Lesson 3: Understanding Brands
- Kids, Alcohol and Advertising - Lesson 4: Interpreting Media Messages
- Looking At Food Advertising
- Packaging Tricks
- Prejudice and Body Image
- Stay on the Path Lesson Four: Scavenger Hunt
- Game Time
- Understanding the Internet: Using the Internet
- Understanding the Internet: Pathways and Addresses
- Understanding the Internet: Build Understanding
- Understanding the Internet: Communication and Social Media
- Introduction to Cyberbullying: Avatars and Identity