Wacky Media Songs: Reading Media Lesson Plan
Level: Grade K to 3
About the author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts.
Duration: 10-15 minutes per activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This lesson series contains discussion topics and extension activities for teachers to integrate the TVOKids Original series Wacky Media Songs. This lesson focuses on how media are made, how different media and genres tell stories and communicate meaning, and the affordances and defaults of different networked media.
- Understand that media are constructions that imperfectly reflect reality
- Explore how media producers make choices that produce different effects for different purposes
- Understand that each medium has a unique aesthetic form
- Learn that different media have different codes and conventions that are used to direct attention and communicate meaning
- Understand that how interactive media are made influences how we use them
- Consider how the designers of interactive media make choices that influence how we use them, and explore their reasons for doing so
Preparation and materials
- Review the following Wacky Media Songs videos and prepare to show students the ones you wish to discuss:
- If you are showing students Frame It! you may also wish to prepare to show the following videos: