Wacky Media Songs: Making and Remixing
Level: Grade K to 3
About the author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts.
Duration: 10-15 minutes per activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This lesson series contains discussion topics and extension activities for teachers to integrate the TVOKids Original series Wacky Media Songs. This lesson focuses on enabling students to make media and use existing content for their own purposes.
- Understand that media are constructions that present partial and imperfect reflections of reality
- Understand that each medium has a unique aesthetic form
- Learn that different media have different codes and conventions that are used to direct attention and communicate meaning
- Explore how media producers make choices that produce different effects for different purposes
- Plan and create their own media works
Preparation and materials
- Review the following Wacky Media Songs videos and prepare to show students the ones you wish to discuss: