Can You Spot the Ad?
Level: Grades K to 3
About the Author: This lesson was written for MediaSmarts by Eve Duchesne
Duration: 45-60 minutes
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students will learn about the concept of branded content and will learn to differentiate between branded images and videos and non-branded images and videos in online and offline contexts through a series of questions and discussions.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of:
- what “branding” and “brands” are and how to recognize them
- how to identify advertisements in different media
- the goals and tactics of advertising
Home and School Connection
- Talking to your kids about advertising
- Dealing with Marketing: What Parents Can Do
- Internet Safety Tips by Age: 5-7
- Co-Viewing With Your Kids
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.