Stay on the Path Lesson One: Searching for Treasure Lesson Plan
Level: Grades 5 to 6
About the Author: MediaSmarts
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This four-lesson unit on search skills and critical thinking teaches students how to target and specify their online searches to avoid unwanted results, how to judge whether a link, search result or website is legitimate or phony and how to find legitimate sources online for media works such as music, videos and movies. In this first lesson students learn how to create well-defined search strings and to use tools and techniques such as bookmarking, browser filters and search engine preferences to avoid unwanted material.
The lesson is part of the Stay on the Path: Teaching Kids to be Safe and Ethical Online lesson series.
- learn how to avoid unwanted search results
- learn how to target and specify their searches
- learn about the basic, automated Internet filters
- use advanced search techniques
Home and School Connection
- How to Search the Internet Effectively
- Getting the Goods Ethically
- Teaching Your Children Safe Surfing Habits
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.