Can You Spot the Ad?
Level: Grades K to 3
About the Author: This lesson was written for MediaSmarts by Eve Duchesne
Duration: 45-60 minutes
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students will learn about the concept of branded content and will learn to differentiate between branded images and videos and non-branded images and videos in online and offline contexts through a series of questions and discussions.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of:
- what “branding” and “brands” are and how to recognize them
- how to identify advertisements in different media
- the goals and tactics of advertising
Home and School Connection
- Talking to your kids about advertising
- Dealing with Marketing: What Parents Can Do
- Internet Safety Tips by Age: 5-7
- Co-Viewing With Your Kids
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.