Wacky Media Songs: Community Engagement
Level: Grade K to 3
About the Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts.
Duration: 10-15 minutes per activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A digital media literacy framework for Canadian schools.
This lesson series contains discussion topics and extension activities for teachers to integrate the TVOKids Original series Wacky Media Songs. This lesson focuses on students’ ability to influence positive social norms in online spaces and to speak out as active, engaged citizens.
- Understand that media are constructions that present partial and imperfect reflections of reality
- Understand that media have social and political implications
- Distinguish between fact and opinion and between reliable and unreliable sources
- Understand that interactions through digital media can have a real impact
- Consider the ways that their actions affect their communities and people around them
Preparation and materials
- Review the following Wacky Media Songs videos and prepare to show students the ones you wish to discuss: