Online Relationships: Respect and Consent
Level: Grades 9-12
About the Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts
Duration: 1.5 - 2 hours plus evaluation activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students use mind maps to explore concepts of “respect” and “consent” in an online context. They consider a wide range of scenarios that shed light on different aspects of consent relating to digital media and draw on those to create a detailed definition. Finally, students create an “explainer” video in which they illustrate one of the aspects of consent.
- Develop definitions of the concepts of “respect” and “consent” in relationships
- Explore how these concepts relate to digital technology and online relationships
- Make moral judgments relating to issues of consent in online relationships
- Learn how to take control when images of them are shared without their permission
- Create a collaborative media product
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.