Mixed Signals: Verifying Online Information Lesson Plan
Level: Grades 7-9
About the Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts
Duration: 60-75 minutes
This lesson plan has been made possible by the Government of Canada.
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students examine two websites about unlikely animals and learn how to effectively evaluate online sources. They then create a fake website that demonstrates the misleading signals that are often mistakenly taken as signs of reliability.
- Learn to distinguish between strong and weak signals of reliability online
- Practice finding strong signals
- Demonstrate an understanding of weak signals
- Evaluate the reliability of an online source
- Create a media text (website)
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.