Advertising All Around Us - Lesson
Level: Grades 5 and 6
This teaching unit helps students to become more aware of the language and techniques used in print advertising, as well as the impact of advertising on their daily lives. The unit will focus on three key media literacy concepts: construction of reality, representation, and audience.
To enable students to:
- analyze the format and structure of advertisements
- differentiate between information and selling
- recognize the codes and conventions of different categories of advertisements
- distinguish between fantasy and reality
- become aware of their own reactions as consumers
- learn about target audiences
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.