Stay on the Path Lesson Four: Scavenger Hunt
Level: Grades 5 to 6
About the Author: MediaSmarts
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This four-lesson unit on search skills and critical thinking teaches students how to target and specify their online searches to avoid unwanted results, how to judge whether a link, search result or website is legitimate or phony and how to find legitimate sources online for media works.
In this final lesson of the unit, students apply their searching and critical thinking skills to learn how to find legitimate online sources for downloading and streaming movies, music and videos.
The lesson is part of the Stay on the Path: Teaching Kids to be Safe and Ethical Online lesson series.
- learn how to avoid unwanted search results
- learn how to target and specify their searches
- learn how to judge the legitimacy of a result or a website
- learn to treat intellectual property (their own and others’) with respect
- become aware of the laws that govern copyright in Canada
Home and School Connection
- How to Search the Internet Effectively
- Getting the Goods Ethically
- Teaching Your Children Safe Surfing Habits
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.