Online Marketing to Kids: Strategies and Techniques - Lesson
Level: Grades 6 to 9
About the Author: MediaSmarts
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This lesson introduces students to the online marketing techniques that are used to target children on the Internet. It begins with a guided discussion about the similarities and differences between traditional marketing methods and online advertising and why the Internet is such a desirable medium for advertisers to reach young people. Student activities include a survey of the marketing techniques used on several commercial websites for children; the creation of a commercial website for kids that incorporates common marketing strategies; and an analysis of case studies about online marketing to young people.
- an awareness of the format and structure of online advertisements
- an awareness of the differences between television advertising and Internet marketing
- an understanding of their own reactions, as consumers, to these ads
Home and School Connection
- Protecting your privacy on commercial website
- Talking to your kids about advertising
- Dealing With Marketing: What Parents Can Do
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.