Wacky Media Songs: Consumer Awareness Lesson Plan
Level: Grade K to 3
About the Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts
Duration: 10-15 minutes per activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This lesson series contains discussion topics and extension activities for teachers to integrate the TVOKids Original series Wacky Media Songs. This lesson focuses on recognizing and interpreting advertising, branding and consumerism.
- Understand that media have commercial considerations
- Learn that advertisers actively target children and youth
- Understand that advertising has a persuasive intent
- Recognize and respond to common advertising strategies
- Understand that media are constructions that imperfectly reflect reality
- Identify ways in which advertising media may misrepresent products or claims
Preparation and materials
Review the following Wacky Media Songs videos and prepare to show students the ones you wish to discuss:
- They Really Like Us!
- Create the Hype!
- Hit Us in the Feels!
- Hiding in Plain Sight!
- What a Deal!
- Star Power!
- We’ll Make Them Want It!
- Creating a Brand!
- Words That Sell!
- What’s Inside?
- Just Another Influencer!
- Hop on the Bandwagon!
- Make Me Shine!