My Voice is Louder Than Hate Teacher Guide
Over the course of this program, students will:
- Learn how to push back when they encounter hate or prejudice online;
- Develop digital and media literacy skills to recognize and confront hate material online; and
- Prepare to take action as digital citizens by taking an active role in forming the norms and values of their offline communities and using digital and media tools for civic action online and offline.
This program consists of four elements:
- An online multimedia platform that includes learning resources, practice scenarios and tools for media-making;
- Two lessons that use the different features of the multimedia platform to educate and empower students to respond to hate and prejudice online;
- A training workshop to prepare teachers to deliver these lessons and deal with any difficult conversations that may take place as a result; and
- This guide, which provides an expanded discussion of topics such as online hate, casual prejudice, dehumanization, digital citizenship and detailed instructions on how to present the lessons in a way that will be emotionally safe for students.