Wacky Media Songs: Privacy and Security Lesson Plan
Level: Grade K to 3
About the author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts.
Duration: 10-15 minutes per activity
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & ENGAGE: A Digital Media Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This lesson series contains discussion topics and extension activities for teachers to integrate the TVOKids Original series Wacky Media Songs. This lesson focuses on essential skills for managing students’ privacy, reputation and security online such as making good decisions about sharing their own content, understanding data collection techniques, protecting themselves from malware and other software threats, and being aware of their digital footprint.
- Understand that digital media are shareable and persistent
- Consider the ethics and impacts of sharing their own and others’ content
- Understand that digital media can have unanticipated audiences
- Reflect on who might see content that is shared online
- Understand that interactions through digital media can have a real impact
- Understand that media have commercial considerations
- Become aware that some online communications are intended to harm your device or cost you money
- Develop strategies for maintaining digital devices
- Develop strategies for avoiding harmful online content including scams, viruses and phishing messages
Preparation and materials