Stay on the Path Lesson Three: Treasure Maps
Level: Grades 5 to 6
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
This four-lesson unit on search skills and critical thinking teaches students how to target and specify their online searches to avoid unwanted results, how to judge whether a link, search result or website is legitimate or phony, and how to find legitimate sources online for media works such as music, videos and movies.
In this lesson, students apply what they have learned in the first two lessons to find and verify information online.
The lesson is part of the Stay on the Path: Teaching Kids to be Safe and Ethical Online lesson series.
- avoid unwanted search results
- target and specify their searches
- use advanced search techniques
- judge the legitimacy of a result or a website
Home and School Connection
- How to Search the Internet Effectively
- Getting the Goods Ethically
- Teaching Your Children Safe Surfing Habits
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.