Sports Personalities in Magazine Advertising - Lesson
Level(s): Grades 7 - 9
Author: This unit was created by educator Arlene Petkau as part of a Media Education course taught by John Pungente at the Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba, 1992.
In this lesson students explore the relationship between athletes and advertising through a number of different activities. In activity 1, students deconstruct the “text” of these ads; in activity 2, students explore target audience and how audience negotiates meaning; in activity 3 students look at the importance of “emotional climate” in ads; and in activity 4, students use role-playing to understand production elements.
- describe an advertisement which uses sports personalities
- identify the role of sports personalities in advertising
- analyze the target audience of magazine advertisements
- respond to advertisements and analyze these reactions
- identify what created these reactions and emotions
- understand how and why a sports personality is used in advertising
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.