Promoting Ethical Behaviour Online: My Virtual Life - Lesson
Level: Grades 7-9
Duration: 2-3 hours
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
In this lesson, students learn about ways to manage their privacy and reputation online by exploring their digital presence and to make good choices about sharing other people’s content online. Students explore how they are portrayed online through their own content and content posted or shared by others, and research tools for controlling access to their online content. Finally, students explore moral dilemmas relating to posting and sharing personal material.
This lesson is part of the Cyberbullying: Encouraging ethical online behaviour lesson series.
Students will demonstrate:
- an understanding of how their online activities reflect on them
- an understanding of the importance of ethical behaviour and reputation management in various online environments
- an understanding of the importance of managing one’s privacy online
- consideration of ethical issues when sharing others’ online content
Home and School Connection
- Promoting Ethical Online Behaviours with Your Kids
- Building Empathy in Children and Teens
- Do the Right Thing
- Family Online Rules
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.