The Hero Project: Authenticating Online Information
Level: Grades 4-8
About the Author: Matthew Johnson, Director of Education, MediaSmarts
Note: This lesson is based on the article “Teaching Internet Literacy Strategies: The Hero Inquiry Project,” by Maya Eagleton, Kathleen Guinee and Karen Langlais. Adapted with permission.
Duration: 2-3 hours plus presentation time (may be completed in shorter segments)
Students are introduced to Internet search skills through researching a personal hero. By focusing on the early parts of the research process, students learn to select well-defined topics, ask relevant research questions and select effective keywords. Students then present the information they have found to their classmates in the form of a media product.
- identify key steps in searching for information
- evaluate their prior knowledge about search techniques
- learn to identify strong and weak keywords
- practice effective search techniques
- research a topic in detail
- organize research and present their findings to the class
- create a media product
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.