Title: Executive Director
MediaSmarts is a Canadian not-for-profit charitable organization for digital and media literacy. The vision of the organization is to ensure that children and youth have the critical thinking skills to engage with media as active and informed digital citizens. To ensure this, MediaSmarts mission is to; provide leadership in advancing digital and media literacy in Canadian schools, homes and communities, develop and deliver high quality Canadian-based digital and media literacy resources and conduct and disseminate research that contributes to the development of informed public policy on issues related to media. It is an exciting fast-paced time for digital and media literacy in Canada, and it is within this context that MediaSmarts is seeking to recruit a new Executive Director.
The new Executive Director will be responsible for the achievement of the MediaSmarts vision, mission, and strategic priorities and will embrace the opportunities and challenges associated with the Internet and the positive role that digital and media literacy can have for Canadians. The Executive Director will lead a highly effective team of resources and be a key leader in managing relationships with the wide variety of stakeholders, sponsors and partners that MediaSmarts interacts with. Finally, this individual will ensure that MediaSmarts maintains its current and future organizational capacity to continue to meet the complex demands of the digital and media literacy landscape in Canada.
As an ideal candidate, you have experience leading a not-for-profit organization or relevant leadership skills that could be transferred to this environment. You have knowledge of the issues and opportunities associated with digital and media literacy and will embrace the challenge of leading an organization that operates in a highly dynamic and continually evolving sector. You understand how to navigate and achieve results within multi-stakeholder environments, and you have an energetic and dynamic interpersonal style when networking or engaging with stakeholders. You are a leader who is consultative and approachable, you have exceptional listening and facilitation skills, and you are skilled at finding creative solutions when faced with complex challenges. You have strong financial management skills, and enjoy leading people and unlocking the potential of teams, while cultivating a respectful and consensus oriented culture.
To explore this exciting opportunity, please submit your application and related materials to Paul Marshall at email@example.com and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
Title: Director of Research
MediaSmarts is seeking an experienced, highly organized individual with strong research, writing and communications skills. This essential member of the MediaSmarts team will lead the organization’s research agenda – which includes both MediaSmarts original research and program evaluation and impact assessment.
- Lead ongoing evaluations of all MediaSmarts’ processes and programs, including:
- Planning and implementing evaluations to measure impact of new MediaSmarts’ intervention, education and awareness programs
- Oversee the planning, methodology and implementation of original MediaSmarts’ research studies, including:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Designing and implementing qualitative and quantitative research studies
- Analyzing data
- Contribute to the development of proposals/applications for research and program funding
- In collaboration with MediaSmarts staff, oversee the dissemination of key finding from research:
- Writing or co-writing key findings reports (both peer-reviewed and other reports for various stakeholders such as government, teachers, parents etc.)
- Sharing MediaSmarts research methods and key finding through webinars, online communications, panels, conference keynotes. etc.
- Representing MediaSmarts at regional, national or international events, as required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of and interest in education, digital and/or media issues
- Strong background in research design and implementation:
- experience with grant applications and/or experience working/collaborating on different types of funded research projects
- Knowledge of and experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Broad knowledge of research and dissemination
- Knowledge and experience in program evaluation
- Ph.D. completed or in progress in cognate field; or graduate degree and minimum 5 years full time work as a researcher in cognate organization
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized, self-motivated and self-directed
- Bilingualism in English/French is an asset
Hours of Work / Compensation: 37.5 hrs per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How to apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.