Police in the Media
Level(s): Grades 7 to 12
This lesson helps students understand the different perceptions of the police force portrayed in the media. Students will learn about the differences between the constructed reality of media and law enforcement in real life and then create their television “cop shows” that provide a more accurate picture of policing.
- understand how media’s portrayal of law enforcement construct reality
- appreciate the differences between the constructed reality of law enforcement and law enforcement in real life
- appreciate the characteristics and conventions of the different types of media portraying law enforcement
- understand how media portrayals of law enforcement affect our understanding of race and justice
- create a critical media text
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.