What do Halloween costumes say? - Lesson
Level: Grades K-5
Author: Teaching Tolerance is a Web project of the U.S. based Southern Poverty Law Center.
This activity, adaptable across grades, is designed to help students look critically at the Halloween costumes marketed to them. In schools where Halloween is observed, the activity can be used to develop guidelines for acceptable holiday garb.
- Students will examine and understand the use of stereotypes and biases in visual media.
- Students will use viewing skills and strategies to understand and interpret visual media.
- Students will use listening and speaking strategies in small group and class discussions.
- Students will use the general skills and strategies of the writing process.
- Students will contribute to the overall effort of a group.
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.