Teaching TV: Television as a Story Teller - Lesson
Level: Grades 1 to 6
Author: This lesson, by Elizabeth Verrall, has been adapted with permission from the Federation of Women Teachers’ Association of Ontario (FWTAO) Curriculum Insert 1994 Vol. 12 No. 5. Toronto, Ontario, May/June 1993.
This lesson is one of a five-part unit that provides teachers with ideas for teaching TV in the elementary classroom. In this lesson, students explore the ways in which television tells stories.
- understand that media products can tell a story
- recognize that characters, mood, setting and plot are part of a media story
- tell or re-tell a story using different media
- appreciate that there are different ways to tell the same story
- identify television stories
- compare/contrast TV stories with other stories
- construct a storyboard
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.