Writing a Newspaper Article - Lesson Lesson Plan
Level(s): Grades 6 - 9
Author: This unit was created by Stephanie M. Rusnak, B.S.Ed, of Charleston, South Carolina, as part of her Media Production Course.
In this lesson, students will write a news article for the school newspaper. The lesson begins with a discussion about freedom of speech and the important role it plays in journalism. Next, students will learn how to create news articles by developing 'lead paragraphs' and by using the 'inverted pyramid' model. Once this is done, they will be given time during class to select topics, conduct research, write their articles and proof read and peer edit their own and other's works.
- understand journalistic terms and vocabulary
- understand the structure of news articles
- produce and publish written work, using appropriate technology
- analyse and assess the information and ideas gathered from a variety of print and electronic sources
- develop keyboarding skills
- develop peer editing and proof reading skills
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) are available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.