What Students Need to Know About Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (Grades 11-12) - Lesson Lesson Plan
Level: Grade 11-12
This lesson is part of USE, UNDERSTAND & CREATE: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools.
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario has created three guides for teachers that help increase the understanding of open government and personal privacy. What Students Need to Know About Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy has been created to provide an opportunity for teachers and their students to discuss why access to government-held information and personal privacy are important public values and how these values are reflected in our relationships with governments.
The Grade 11-12 guide contains the following sections:
- Resource Overview (explains the intended course and grade and essential skills addressed)
- Activity Overviews (summaries of each activity in the unit)
- Curriculum Expectations (explains how the unit meets the curricular requirements of Grade 11 and 12 courses in Ontario)
- Activity: Introduction to the IPC, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (students learn about the purpose and role of the IPC and the legislation that pertains to individuals’ right of access to government-held information and the protection of privacy)
- Activity: Personal Information and Privacy Matters (students learn about the various types of invasion of privacy and understand what to do in a situation where their personal information has been compromised)
- Activity: Using the Web: Internet Privacy (students learn to identify areas of risk that pose a threat to Web users)
- Activity: Open Government and Freedom of Information Matters (students learn about freedom of information legislation and its connection to the principles of a democracy, and apply some of the features inherent in a democracy – active citizenship and participation)
For further information on these lessons and information on Ontario legislation covering the release of students' personal information visit the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario Web site at: http://www.ipc.on.ca.
Source: Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario