Selling Obesity - Lesson
Level: Grades 7 to 10
In this lesson, students look at the health issues that are associated with our fast food culture, and the advertising of it. Students begin with a snack-food survey to assess their own eating habits. Through class discussion, they explore North American fast food culture, and the role that marketers play in promoting these types of foods to children and teens. At the end of the class, students choose from a number of activities that help them understand this issue in greater depth.
Students will demonstrate:
- awareness of the health issues associated with over-consumption of snack foods and fast foods
- awareness of how the fast food and snack food industries encourage over consumption of their products through advertising and serving sizes
- an understanding of their own responses to advertising of fast food and snack food
- continuing awareness of the types of foods needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle
- continuing awareness of the principles of balance and moderation in fitting snack foods into a healthy diet
This lesson and all associated documents (handouts, overheads, backgrounders) is available in an easy-print, pdf kit version.