TELUS has been a generous and valued sponsor of MediaSmarts’ work since 2002 and we are delighted that they increased their sponsorship to the Platinum level in 2018. TELUS has supported the development of many of our award winning digital literacy programs for Canadian classrooms and communities. We commend TELUS for taking a leadership position in supporting MediaSmarts’ work in digital literacy across Canada.
In addition to its financial support we were delighted to have TELUS represented on our Board of Directors between 2002 and 2017.
TELUS and MediaSmarts partnerships include:
- Non-Consensual Sharing of Intimate Images: Behaviours and Attitudes of Canadian Youth : With funding from TELUS, in 2017 MediaSmarts and researchers at University of Toronto’s Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work conducted a study to examine how attitudes, experiences, knowledge and moral beliefs of young people impact their decisions to share or not share sexts they have received. This research is significant not only in helping us to understand the motivating factors behind teens’ decisions to share sexts without the original sender’s consent, but also to inform development of more effective interventions to discourage young people from sharing sexts non-consensually.
- Digital Youth Summit 150: Bridging Dialogue Across Digital Generations: With funding from TELUS as the Platinum sponsor, MediaSmarts, in partnership with the Information and Communications Technology Council, hosted the third Digital Youth Summit in October 2017, which provided an opportunity for adults to engage directly with young Canadians to learn their perspectives on digital literacy skills for entrepreneurialism, civic engagement and citizenship.
- Helping our kids navigate cyberbullying guide : As part of the Impact! program, in 2016 MediaSmarts developed this guide for parents, which includes information on recognizing cyberbullying and practical tips for addressing the issue.
- Impact! How to Make a Difference When You Witness Bullying Online program: Launched in November 2016 during Bullying Awareness Week, this suite of resources for youth, parents and teachers support witnesses to cyberbullying and is based on upon the findings from MediaSmarts’ 2015 study Young Canadians’ Experiences with Electronic Bullying. TELUS WISE Ambassador Impact! Program: To expand the reach of Impact! a package of tools was developed in 2017 to support TELUS WISE Ambassadors in presenting Impact! in schools. The package includes a workshop presentation with four short animated videos, a guide and handouts.
- Media Literacy Week sponsorship: TELUS has supported this national initiative annually since its inauguration in 2007.
- Digital Youth Summit 2015: With funding from TELUS, MediaSmarts and the Information and Communications Technology Council hosted a National Digital Youth Summit to hear directly from Canadian students about the topic of digital skills for life and work.
- Young Canadians Experiences with Electronic Bullying: In 2015 with funding from TELUS, MediaSmarts conducted a national survey of 800 youth ages 12–18, to learn more about their attitudes and experiences as witnesses to electronic bullying.
- TELUS WISE program: In 2012-13 MediaSmarts partnered with TELUS to develop resources for two online portals designed to help keep Canadian families and kids safe online: The TELUS WISE online educational program focuses on Internet and smartphone safety/security to help keep families safe from online criminal activity such as financial fraud and cyberbullying. The TELUS WISE footprint website provides tweens and teens with a fun and engaging way to learn about their digital footprint and how to keep it clean.
- Employee Internet education program: In 2007, TELUS worked with MediaSmarts to deliver Internet safety workshops to TELUS and Government of Alberta employees. The information sessions were conducted in cities across Alberta, including Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Red Deer and Medicine Hat.