TELUS has been a generous and valued sponsor of MediaSmarts’ work since 2002. It has supported the development of many of our award winning digital literacy programs for Canadian classrooms and communities. We commend TELUS for taking a leadership position in supporting MediaSmarts’ work in digital literacy across Canada.
In addition to its financial support we are delighted to have TELUS represented on our Board of Directors.
TELUS and MediaSmarts partnerships include:
- Impact! How to Make a Difference When You Witness Bullying Online program: Launched in November 2016 during Bullying Awareness Week, this suite of resources for youth, parents and teachers support witnesses to cyberbullying and is based on upon the findings from MediaSmarts’ 2015 study Young Canadians’ Experiences with Online Bullying. (Diane, please also link to the research.)
- Media Literacy Week sponsorship: TELUS has supported this national initiative annually since its inauguration in 2007.
- Digital Youth Summit 2015: With funding from TELUS, MediaSmarts and the Information and Communications Technology Council hosted a National Digital Youth Summit to hear directly from Canadian students about the topic of digital skills for life and work.
- Young Canadians Experiences with Electronic Bullying: In 2015 with funding from TELUS, MediaSmarts conducted a national survey of 800 youth ages 12–18, to learn more about their attitudes and experiences as witnesses to electronic bullying.
- TELUS WISE program: In 2012-13 MediaSmarts partnered with TELUS to develop resources for two online portals designed to help keep Canadian families and kids safe online: The TELUS WISE online educational program focuses on Internet and smartphone safety/security to help keep families safe from online criminal activity such as financial fraud and cyberbullying. The TELUS WISE footprint website provides tweens and teens with a fun and engaging way to learn about their digital footprint and how to keep it clean.
- Employee Internet education program: In 2007, TELUS worked with MediaSmarts to deliver Internet safety workshops to TELUS and Government of Alberta employees. The information sessions were conducted in cities across Alberta, including Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Red Deer and Medicine Hat.