TELUS has been a generous and valued sponsor of MediaSmarts’ work since 2002. It has supported the development of many of our award winning digital literacy programs for Canadian classrooms and communities. We commend TELUS for taking a leadership position in supporting MediaSmarts’ work in digital literacy across Canada.
In addition to its financial support, over the years TELUS has played an active role on our Board of Directors, and in 2012, we were honoured when Craig McTaggart, Director, Broadband Policy for TELUS, accepted the position of Chair of our Board of Directors.
We are proud to partner with TELUS on many important digital literacy programs and initiatives, including:
- Media Literacy Week sponsorship: TELUS has supported this national initiative annually since its inauguration in 2007.
- Growing with the Net workshops: Developed with support from TELUS, the Growing with the Net workshops are professional development tools for teachers and librarians. The workshops take a developmental approach to understanding, and finding to solutions to, issues around children and teens’ Internet use.
- MyWorld: This interactive online tutorial, which was developed in 2010 with funding from TELUS, teaches secondary students key digital literacy skills. MyWorld is in use in classrooms across Canada, and in 2011 was honoured by the international MEDEA Awards as an innovative best practice in the use of media in education.
- Passport to the Internet: Passport – the elementary version of MyWorld – teaches children the critical thinking skills they need for their online activities. Passport to the Internet was also the honoured by the international MEDEA Awards in 2009.
- Employee Internet education program: In 2007, TELUS worked with MediaSmarts to deliver Internet safety workshops to TELUS and Government of Alberta employees. The information sessions were conducted in cities across Alberta, including Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Red Deer and Medicine Hat.